Seraph's MAME Game List!

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Seraph's MAME Game List!

Post by Seraph » February 12th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Top 40 Arcade Game Series

First of all, I wanted to mention that I have made selective lists for all major consoles. If you want to experience gaming beyond MAME, then PM Seraph for my lists.

The following is a collection of games that my brother and I would personally recommend playing. I asked for his input when narrowing down the list, so a game series was chosen if it was meaningful to both of us. That is why you may not see games such as Super Puzzle Bobble and the Puzzle Bobble (Bust-A-Move) series. To prevent the list from being redundant, an entire series (such as the Metal Slug series) counts as one item on the list. The same rule was applied for Marvel titles in each category. I also had to separate "Flying" and "Other" shooters since there are too many quality Shooters.

Note: The following games are all MAME titles, but a few of the games are still in preliminary stages meaning they do not all work. In addition, some of these titles do not run properly unless your computer is a "SuperBeast" (Rob Zombie reference). All of the games listed are linked to their Parent rom information page at MAWS or their review in the MameAddicts Recommended Games thread. However, some of the games are better played with a Clone rom.

Please see below this list for notes about the games.

I am currently working on a video for this list which will be displayed below!

Top 10 Beat 'Em Ups

Alien vs. Predator

Battle Toads

Captain Commando

Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom, Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara

Final Fight

King of Dragons, The

Marvel Beat 'Em Ups: Captain America and The Avengers, Punisher, The, Spider-Man: The Videogame, X-Men

P.O.W. - Prisoners of War

Simpsons, The

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles in Time

Top 5 Classics

Donkey Kong

Galaga

Missle Command

Pac-Man

Space Invaders

Top 5 "Versus" Fighting

Killer Instinct, Killer Instinct 2

Marvel "Versus" Fighting: Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter,
Marvel vs. Capcom: Clash of Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, X-Men vs. Street Fighter,
X-Men: Children of the Atom

Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Mortal Kombat 4

Tekken Tag Tournament

Street Fighter, Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition, Hyper Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition,
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Top 5 "Flying" Shooters

After Burner II

DonPachi, DoDonPachi, Bee Storm - DoDonPachi II

Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga

Raiden, Raiden 2, Raiden DX, Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2, Raiden Fighters Jet

U.N. Squadron, Carrier Air Wing

Top 3 Light Gun

House of the Dead, House of the Dead 2, House of the Dead 3

Lethal Enforcers, Lethal Enforcers II: Gun Fighters

Time Crisis, Time Crisis 2

Top 2 Maze

Gauntlet, Gauntlet 2, Gauntlet Legends, Gauntlet Dark Legacy

Trog

Top 5 Platforms

Black Tiger

Ghosts'n Goblins, Ghouls'n Ghosts

Haunted Castle (Castlevania)

Magic Sword

Shinobi

Top 5 "Other" Shooters

Metal Slug - Super Vehicle-001, Metal Slug 2 - Super Vehicle-001/II, Metal Slug X - Super Vehicle-001,
Metal Slug 3, Metal Slug 4, Metal Slug 5

Pang, Super Pang, Pang! 3, Mighty! Pang

Shock Troopers, Shock Troopers - 2nd Squad

Smash TV, Total Carnage

Time Soldiers

Brief Game Commentary

Top 10 Beat 'Em Ups: I did not include any honorable mentions for this category, since I posted enough quality games for this genre.

Spider-Man: The Videogame: This game has both Beat 'Em Up and Platform elements, but I put it under the Beat 'Em Ups.

P.O.W. - Prisoners of War: It may sound like an odd title for such a selective list; but it is something different from all of the games out there that mimic Final Fight.

Top 5 Classics: The "Classic" titles have too many versions of the same game to list them all. An honorable mention is needed for Gyruss.

Top 5 "Versus" Fighting: An honorable mention is needed for Samurai Shodown V Special / Samurai Spirits Zero Special and the Samurai Shodown series.

Killer Instinct Series: Requires CHD files which are harder to find but definitely worth it!

Street Fighter: I included this so that people could see where Street Fighter came from.

Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition: This game is added for those that do not approve of the "Super" features from Hyper Street Fighter 2: The Anniversary Edition, and enjoy a more classic Street Fighter Experience. For those that want a faster but "Classic" Street Fighter experience, you should try the Clones Street Fighter II' - Hyper Fighting also known as Street Fighter II' Turbo - Hyper Fighting.

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future: Requires CHD files!

Tekken Tag Tournament: The Tekken series is a "must play" but you may have to play the older games because of the lag from the 3D Fighting element. Otherwise, this is one you need to play because of the "Tag" mode.

Top 5 "Flying" Shooters: An honorable mention is needed for Progear.

Top 3 Light Gun: An honorable mention is needed for Area 51 and the Area 51 series. The "Maximum Force Duo" version which is linked is the best version and Area 51 requires CHD files!

The Last 3 Genres: These did not require honorable mentions.

Gauntlet series: The last two in the series requires CHD files, but be warned, these titles are beyond being even "SuperBeast" games for now (don't bother).

Haunted Castle (Castlevania): Castlevania is what made me start loving games. If you do not enjoy this title, you should try some of the others in the series. "Vs. Castlevania" for the Arcade is better on the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).

If you want to take my word on Castlevania but did not enjoy Haunted Castle, try out Castlevania III for NES and Castlevania Symphony of the Night (SOTN) for Playstation One (PSX). If you begin to like the series after reading my recommendation, PM Seraph for more info.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Re: Seraph's MAME Game List!

Post by eliaskeme » February 13th, 2010, 4:47 am

WOW !! This is a HUGE list !!! Well done :clapping:
I think you should put the links to the game reviews instead the links that MAWS provides, since many reviews have info from MAWS (you have realised in many of mine). SO I think Shinobi, Captain Commando, MVC, Metal Slug series and the rest of the games that are in the list and have a review should link you to the review instead. By the way that Ghouls n' Ghosts and Ghosts n' Goblins put me to thoughts... I will write about them after my Bubble Bobble project. Once again well done, great list :clapping:

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » February 13th, 2010, 4:55 pm

Epic idea there! I'll talk to Hiero about replacing those links as the games get reviewed. I like it but up to Hiero since he would have to do it.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » February 14th, 2010, 2:18 am

Works for me. Good idea, elias!

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » February 14th, 2010, 4:40 am

Nice work. Definitely a few in there that I have to check out :smile:

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » February 14th, 2010, 10:34 am

Awesome job buddy! :thumbsup:
It's amazing how many good games you can actually have and not know it...that's if you got 6000+.

Sometimes I set GameEx to pick a random game just to keep things interesting.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » February 15th, 2010, 12:47 am

I need to check out that GameEx when I'm ready for some new stuff to learn. That sounds like one way to discover some new quality games.

I hope some people stumble on this and at least find out about one gem that they didn't know or forgot about. With 6000+ games I would be worried about all the clones, Majong, and "trash" out there. Filters for the win!

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » February 15th, 2010, 5:23 am

If you don't have a frontend then some GUI MAMEs have the same option in File>Select Random Game, or an even easier shortcut, ctrl-r.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » February 15th, 2010, 11:29 pm

That is a nice trick to use until I get my frontend set up. Works great with 119 at least so thanks for that Hiero!

Aleks55
Mame Addict
Mame Addict
Favorite Game: Earthworm Jim

Post by Aleks55 » February 17th, 2010, 8:35 pm

I;m glad to see Battleotads up there :party: