My Recommended MAME Games

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Killer Instinct : Rare, 1994

Post by Nostalgia » July 14th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Killer Instinct

Rare, 1994, Fighter / Versus

Killer Instinct is truly a one-of-a-kind fighting game. As far as graphics and sound go, it's probably the sharpest of its time for this genre. The amount of effort that has gone into the artwork and design of this game is truly breathtaking. The music in this game is phenomenal and suits the diverse stages perfectly.

The controls are superb and complement the unique fighting system which, apart from the standard fireballs and finishing moves that you see in other fighting games, also contains very long combos, bizarre special moves and so much more.

It takes little effort at all to pull off a spectacular-looking 10+ hit combo, however these combos can be broken by well-timed 'combo breakers', so you don't want to be overusing them (your fighting style will become too predictable and easily countered).

As you commonly see in this type of game in single-player mode, you fight your way through all the playable characters and come to the end boss. The end boss in this game, Eyedol, literally frightens the hell out of me :ohmy: !!! He is a true monster and incredibly intimidating. You really have to verse him yourself to understand just how scary he is and if you don't have a strategy for beating him, then prepare to be thoroughly OWNED :sad:

The characters in this game range from the standard humans such as a boxer and a Native American Chief, to a genetically engineered velociraptor-human hybrid. They all have incredibly creative and individual fighting styles and finishing moves.

If you're new to this game then I would recommend starting with either Cinder or Sabrewulf as they are probably the easiest characters in the game to use properly (button-mashing alone can get you fairly far through the single-player mode, but who the heck likes button-mashing?).

There are so many awesome little touches in Killer Instinct that by themselves are worth giving this game a few plays, such as the full motion video cut scenes and hilarious stage fatalities. It's a great game by yourself or with a friend and I can't recommend it highly enough!

The character select screen.

Full motion video.

Cinder vs Sabrewulf.

Cheeky dog!

Jump to Index
Last edited by Nostalgia on June 20th, 2014, 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

The King of Fighters '98 : SNK, 1998

Post by Hierophant » July 14th, 2009, 10:32 pm

The King of Fighters '98 - The Slugfest

SNK, 1998, Fighter / Versus

Image Image

The King of Fighters '98 (or KOF '98) is the fifth instalment in the long-running series for which SNK produced a new episode each year until KOF XI in 2005. Due to an extensive graphical overhaul, KOF XII was only released in arcades recently this year. It was the ground-breaking original game, KOF '94, that pioneered the trademark 3v3 team battle system while combining gameplay elements and characters from the Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting series. It also resurrected characters from Ikari Warriors and Psycho Soldier. There is a precedent for the crossing over of Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting. In Art of Fighting 2 Geese Howard is a hidden boss, and in Fatal Fury Special Ryo Sakazaki is a secret opponent. Amongst the new fighters that were introduced in KOF '94 it was the main character, Kyo Kusanagi, that established the concept for the mythologically based Orochi Saga story arc which continued through the series until reaching its conclusion in KOF '97.

KOF '98 is a special edition whose setting is outside the series' main story lines, allowing for the return of previously killed-off characters. The Japan release of the game has the sub-heading, 'Dream Match Never Ends'.

Arcade History Trivia for KOF '98 states:

"It is said that this game is a 'dream match' for more reasons than one - this KOF is said to exist only in Shingo's dream - each character in this dream match was Shingo's impression of these characters, based on either personal experience or his notes in his notebook."

Certain characters have special intros when they meet.
Here Joe shows off the Muay Thai Championship Belt to rival, King.
She's less than impressed though.

Here Andy and Mai gaze adoringly at each other.

Image Image
All that lovey-dovey stuff doesn't help Mai very much once the matches get going.
Sorry babe.

For Neo-Geo fans who can live with the game's lack of plot, KOF '98 really is a 'dream match' and is often cited by critics as being one of the best examples of the KOF series. Offering a cast of 38 diverse fighters who represent the majority of characters from previous years, KOF'98 covers a wide variety of traditional and fantasy martial arts styles. As if that's not enough to keep you busy some characters even come with selectable alternate movesets.

Take your picks from this humongous selection of fighters.

KOF gameplay has its own particular feel, which admittedly may put off hardcore Capcom fight fans. Nevertheless, the controls in KOF '98 are responsive and capable of spectacular and sometimes amusing results. Speaking of amusing, Joe Higashi has what is possibly the funniest taunt move in fighting game history! (See screenshot.) Surprisingly, Joe's taunt has a tactical value all of its own against human opponents. I sometimes fake out the other player by running Joe towards them then stopping just short of their normal attack range and quickly doing the taunt. Usually this brazen affront will elicit an attempted response as they try to adjust their plans for the run in and take advantage of the taunt animation. If all goes according to plan I can then launch a devastating counter attack! I call this tactic the Bum Rush Feint. A more standard general strategy for all characters involves doing a forward Guard Cancel Roll Evade through an enemies' multi-hit Super. This puts you at their back while they're still stuck performing the rest of their Super Move animation. To their dismay they're left wide open to your retaliatory strike.

Hey Joe, ya cheeky rascal, is that the moonrise over the Yangtze?
Yuri gives as good as she gets.

Apart from the fantastic character graphics in KOF '98, the colourful stage designs are works of art in their own right. The backgrounds are very lively and abound with many inconsequential details. Battles in the Chinese river stage take place on a barge as magnificent scenery scrolls by, while in the Spanish castle stage day gradually becomes night as the rounds progress. With it's great looks, sense of humour and deep gameplay, Neo-Geo fans simply can't go wrong with KOF '98.

Image Image
The exciting Super Moves in KOF '98 are nothing short of outstanding in their graphical flair!

My KOF '98 Gameplay vid. Terry takes on all comers!

Jump to Index

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Metal Slug 4 : Mega / Playmore, 2002

Post by eliaskeme » July 15th, 2009, 9:11 am

Metal Slug 4

Mega / Playmore, 2002, Platform / Shooter Scrolling

The 5th Metal Slug (the other 4 are Metal Slug 1, 2, X and 3) this time made by MEGA.

Info: In this game there is an important change, the characters:

Trevor and Nadia are replacements for Tarma and Eri:

Image Image

However, Tarma and Eri are your assistants in special cases:

Image Image

As far as the weapons are concerned, the only new thing is the addition of the two Heavy Machine Guns:

Image Image

As far as the vehicles are concerned here is a new one:

Yes, that was a Morden tank. During the gameplay you will have to go on a ride with some hostages:

Image Image

And here is the 1st stage boss:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Pretty big isn't it ??

Advantages: The new plot, the characters and the two Machine Guns offer you a great game experience.

Disadvantages: There are only a few changes. Personally, I was expecting more from MEGA. Another "disadvantage" is the fact that Sgt. Allen O'Neill is in this game (once again):

Videos: Here is my Metal Slug 4 gameplay video. I'd pick Tarma but since I can't I picked Marco instead :V:

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on November 12th, 2016, 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Mortal Kombat 2 : Midway, 1993

Post by Nostalgia » July 16th, 2009, 7:09 pm

Mortal Kombat 2

Midway, 1993, Fighter / Versus

Firstly, I apologise in advance if I sound biased at all during this review.

I grew up with the first two Mortal Kombat games and I truly believe that the first two, by far, are the best Mortal Kombat games... But hey, that's just my opinion. On with the review!

Arguably the best Mortal Kombat game is Mortal Kombat 2. The original Mortal Kombat game was a massive success not only at the arcades but also on the home ports, and Mortal Kombat 2 simply did the right thing at the time and just kept a good thing going (with some minor changes).

It kept using digitized character models like the first game did, but a lot more detail can be seen in Mortal Kombat 2 thanks to the newer technology available at the time. The animation is still perfectly fluid. The backgrounds are a lot more detailed than the first game and the music is as awesome as ever.

Mortal Kombat 2 has multiple finishing moves for each playable character (almost half of which AREN'T violent!), as well as some major plot twists (Wikipedia has all that information) and bizarre new playable and unplayable characters in the mix.

The last two bosses are much different than in the first game and be warned that they require a much different style of play to beat.

A lot of creative inspiration is apparent in the level design and the same goes for both the playable and unplayable characters.

The controls are exactly the same. You still have to press a button to block.

Check it out for yourself, I can't say anything more without spoiling the game for you!

The character select screen.

The very top of the ladder, showing the last two bosses.

Oh that's GOTTA hurt!

Jump to Index
Last edited by Nostalgia on June 20th, 2014, 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Metal Slug 5 : SNK Playmore , 2003

Post by eliaskeme » July 17th, 2009, 10:03 am

Metal Slug 5

SNK Playmore , 2003, Platform / Shooter Scrolling

SNK is back with Metal Slug 5 !!!

Info: Unlike Metal Slug 4, the characters are Tarma and Eri again:

In this game you start from a jungle:

After that you go into a temple and you meet many natives:

As far as the weapons are concerned nothing has changed but as far as the vehicles are concerned there is a new vehicle, the one that is shown on the title screen called the Slug Gunner:

Image Image

As you can see if you try to duck with this vehicle it turns into a tank.

Advantages: The fact that the older characters are back, which is good for the ones that didn't like the other characters in Metal Slug 4.

Disadvantages: There are only a few additions. In fact the only thing is the new vehicle and the different enemies. I thought it would be something really different just like Metal Slug 3 compared to Metal Slug 2 or Metal Slug X.

Snapshots: Just a couple snapshots including the 1st boss:

Yeap that is a BIG Metal Slug :hehe: . After you beat that thing here is what happens:

Image Image
Image Image
Not so funny any more, is it ??

Videos: Here is my Metal Slug 5 gameplay video.

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on November 30th, 2016, 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Three Wonders : Capcom , 1991

Post by eliaskeme » July 18th, 2009, 10:26 am

Three Wonders

Capcom , 1991, Multiplay

Image Image Image

One of my all-time favourite games. And that's because it is has different playing options.

Info: This is a game which is divided into 3 different playing options, the Midnight Wanderers, which is an action game, the Chariot, which is a shooting game and the Don't Pull, which is a puzzle game.

MIDNIGHT WANDERERS: You get two players, Lou and Siva, and your goal is to get the "Card of Dawn", which will help you save the world. Lou has got a gun and Siva has throwing knives. During the gameplay you will receive some heart cards. These cards give you a specific number of hearts. Collect 100 and you get an extra life. Apart from the hearts, there are also some power-ups. These power-ups include stronger shots and a shooting assistant:

In this game you don't lose your life if you are hit. In fact you lose your clothes and, if you are Lou, your gun:

However you won't stay "naked" during the whole game. You can get your clothes and gun back if you get the magic lamp:

Image Image

Also, if you happen to be "naked" during the whole stage, if you beat the stage boss then you get your clothes back !!

CHARIOT: ADVENTURE THROUGH THE SKY: Chariot can be called the sequel of the Midnight Wanderers and that's because in the end of Wanderers you get the Chariot of Light, which can be obtained in this game. Here you are flying and you are shooting your enemies while you are riding your hang glider. The power-ups here are again stronger shots, bombs and the Chariot of Light:

Image Image

In the first snapshot the little brown thing that is falling on the ground is the bomb you get. In the second snapshot Lou is riding the Chariot of Light. The Chariot of Light serves you as a protective shield because in this game you lose a life in one shot. Also another difference between Chariot and Midnight Wanderers is the fact that in Chariot you only need to collect 50 hearts to get an extra life. And just because you can't jump in Chariot, the jump button is used to throw a Super Shot. The Super Shot depends on the shot you have:

After you throw a Super Shot, your tail will lose some of its end. It will regenerate as time passes by.

DON'T PULL: This option is clearly for little children since it is a cartoon. Your goal is to throw the puzzle boxes on the opponent creatures to make them thinner than a hair. However you must be fast because as the time passes by, the creatures get angry and faster:

Image Image

In some stages, you will have to throw some bomb boxes:

These boxes stun your opponents when they explode. However after a while the creatures will be active again:

Image Image
In the first snapshot the lizards just got shocked from the explosion. In the second they are getting ready to attack again.

Advantages: The variety of playing options as well as the whole game plot.

Disadvantages: The Midnight Wanderers and the Chariot are very interesting but a bit difficult especially when you reach the end.

Additional Info: Apart from Three Wonders, there is a Japanese version called Wonder 3. In this version the Midnight Wanderers are called Roosters:

Videos: Here is my Three Wonders gameplay video of Midnight Wanderers.

Then there is my gameplay video of Chariot.

And finally, my gameplay video of Don't Pull.

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on May 30th, 2017, 12:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Donkey Kong : Nintendo of America, 1981

Post by Incito » July 20th, 2009, 12:26 am

Donkey Kong

Nintendo of America, 1981, Platform / Run Jump

Image Image

Facts
This is an early example of the platform genre, as the gameplay focuses on maneuvering the main character across a series of platforms while dodging obstacles. The storyline is thin but well-developed for its time. In it, Jumpman (now known as Mario) must rescue a damsel in distress, Lady (now known as Pauline), from a giant ape named Donkey Kong. The hero and ape later became two of Nintendo's most popular characters.
The game was the latest in a series of efforts by Nintendo to break into the North American market. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Nintendo's president at the time, assigned the project to a first-time game designer named Shigeru Miyamoto. Drawing from a wide range of inspirations, including Popeye and King Kong, Miyamoto developed the scenario and designed the game alongside Nintendo's chief engineer, Gunpei Yokoi. The two men broke new ground by using graphics as a means of characterization, including cutscenes to advance the game's plot, and integrating multiple stages into the gameplay. Props to the author of this wiki.

Another Fact
Mario first appeared in the 1981 arcade game Donkey Kong as a carpenter named "Jumpman", more commonly called "Mr. Video Game" in Japan. During localization of the game for American audiences, Nintendo's warehouse landlord Mario Segale confronted Nintendo's Minoru Arakawa, demanding back rent. After a heated argument and convincing Segale he would be paid, the Nintendo employees opted to name the character in the game Mario after him. People are trying to learn of the real man. This website was created for that purpose: http://www.mariosegale.com/

My Thoughts
Though the concept is simple, go from point A to point B, this game is always going to be challenging. I loved this game so much as a kid that I saved up $40 back in 1985 to buy it for the Atari. It was a bit disappointing to see the graphics Atari had to offer.

Atari, so sad.

Strategy
As far as game strategy, many experts of the game say the there is a "pattern" to each level, but every now and then a random act will occur to throw you off. In the video below, you will see the "Good guy" using a grease marker to draw on the arcade glass as a way to map the game's pattern. It must work cause he plays DK all the way to the "Kill Screen". That is when the game has no more ROM and Mario just dies.

Conclusion
This game is one of my all time favorites, even though I can only get through 3 levels. It is the birth place of :mario: , need I say more!
Check out this sweet movie about REAL dirty competition. The "Bad Guy" has a mullet! So, just for that you have to check it out. Here is a youtube of it.

Jump to Index

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Captain Commando : Capcom , 1991

Post by eliaskeme » July 20th, 2009, 9:09 am

Captain Commando

Capcom , 1991, Fighter / 2.5D

One of the coolest Fighter / 2.5D games ever been, the Captain Commando. And it could be the one that inspired Capcom for its name because, if you think about it, it has Capcom in it: CAPtain COMmando (CAP-COM).
:hehe:

Info: This is a game where you have to protect the Earth from nasty aliens. There are 4 characters that do that, Mack the Mummy Commando, Ginzu the Ninja Commando, the Baby Commando and the Captain Commando:

In this game you will have to deal with a large amount of enemies to proceed to the stage boss. Until then, you will receive some food to replenish the lost life, some weapons including shuriken, which can only be used by Ginzu and some riding robots:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

As you can see the riding robots are: the green, which hits the opponents with its fists, the orange, which shoots fire and the blue, which freezes them. Each character has its own style. For example Captain Commando can shoot fire and electricity:

Image Image

Mack is a mummy and is an expert at knives, like Jack the Ripper, and the Baby Commando is a baby on a robot:

Advantages: The characters, the items as well as the enemy bosses. The whole game is awesome.

Disadvantages: The enemies on each stage are getting more and more which means you will have to lose many lives.

Videos: My Captain Commando gameplay video.

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on November 26th, 2016, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Vendetta : Konami, 1991

Post by Hierophant » July 23rd, 2009, 3:55 am

Vendetta

Konami, 1991, Fighter / 2.5D

Vendetta is a classic scrolling beat 'em up from gaming giant, Konami. The Dead End gang are expanding their territory and your heroes, The Cobras, go after the Dead Enders who have kidnapped Kate Kutie in the resulting turf war. Pretty generic stuff, but how much excuse do you need to go out and start cracking some skulls. The Cobras are a tough bunch. There's Blood, an ex-prize fighter, Hawk, a former professional wrestler, Boomer, trained in the martial arts, and Sledge, an ex-military convict.

Arcade History states:

"Each player character resembles a real-life personality. Hawk looks like 'Hulk Hogan', Sledge looks like 'Mr. T', Boomer looks like 'Jean-Claude Van Damme' and Blood looks like 'Mike Tyson'."

Image Image

Gameplay is simple but effective. You have the joystick and two buttons. It's unusual for this kind of game that there's no jump button per se, just punch and kick. Don't be fooled though, there are plenty of different moves you can discover to waste those lowlife Dead End punks with. There are also many kinds of pick up items to find along the way that can be used to deliver some really harsh justice. A great feature of Vendetta is that you can keep wailing away on the hoodlums even when they've been knocked to the ground. Watch out, the Dead Enders are also capable of attacking you when you're down.

Easily the best aspect of Vendetta is multiplayer. I used to play Vendetta in arcades back in the day, but that was the early 90s. It wasn't until I had a recent online playthrough with Nostalgia that I got a nice refresher course on how outrageously funny this game is with a teammate. Here's Nos to have a bit of a chat about how that went down.

Hierophant: Nos, that game of Vendetta we had the other night was hilarious. If I'd taped my Ventrilo button down all you would have heard was me laughing practically non-stop. With two players it was like being in some kind of ultra-violent situation comedy!

Nostalgia: Yeah, these games are always more fun when you play them with one or more friends. My favourite part about Vendetta would have to be the shotgun and the throwable bags of flour. So many funny moments.

Hierophant: I also like how the baseball bat launches the enemies and flattens them cartoon style against the background. The flour bag you mentioned is an odd item, capable of temporarily disabling enemies by creating a choking dust cloud. Another comical item in the same category is the bucket. If used right it leaves an enemy wandering around aimlessly, unable to act.

One funny moment I remember was when one of those fat masked dudes was grounded and we were both pummelling him. Normally a grounded enemy will get back up after a few seconds. For some reason this guy was having a hard time standing up again and we punished him mercilessly for what seemed like ages.

Nostalgia: Another favourite of mine is when an enemy is knocked off the stage and is trying to climb their way back up, how you can then stomp on their fingers and make them fall away.

I've gotta admit that most of these scrolling beat-em-up games are starting to bore me, but multiplayer Vendetta made me remember how much fun it is when you gang up on an enemy and have some laughs beating the snot out of them.

Hierophant: I know you normally prefer the excitement and tension of 1v1 fighting, but a bit of co-op beat 'em up action makes a nice change sometimes and offers a laugh out loud experience you don't often get from 1v1 games. That's especially true in a game with as strong a sense of humour as Vendetta.

Thanks Nos.

Good bucket placement, Nos.
OK, Hiero, now let's take care of this other clown.

Image Image
Image Image
Aww yeah, Nos, hold that guy still while I hit him.
No worries mate, wipe that stupid grin off his face.

Come on Hiero! You can't even handle a simple dog??? Look at MY situation!!!
It was only a slight shotgun blast to the face that you copped, mate. I could end up with a serious case of rabies here! :tongue:

Image Image
Image Image
Now that's what I call teamwork. I keep the creeps occupied while Nos beats the tar outta the boss.
WOOT!!! :woot:

Bodies flying everywhere here, Hiero.
Yeah mate. DOOF! Feel the power of my lovely punch!

Image Image
TAKE THAT, PUNK!!!
HAHA! Punch... 2... 3..., Kick... 2... 3...

My Vendetta gameplay vid.

Jump to Index

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

The King of Dragons : Capcom, 1991

Post by eliaskeme » July 23rd, 2009, 3:59 pm

The King of Dragons

Capcom, 1991, Fighter / 2.5D

A classic game where you have characters whose job is to beat all the enemies and bosses to face the final boss, the mythical dragon.

Info: In this game you choose one of the characters that are provided to start your game. These characters are the Elf, the Wizard, the Fighter, the Cleric and the Dwarf:

As it says on Arcade History, "Mythical warriors take up arms against the evil dragon, Gildiss and his hordes of protective monsters. Features a level-up system and the ability to switch characters at various points in the game", your goal is to reach the final boss, Gildiss and beat him to win the game. You can play either alone, or with one or two companions:

During the gameplay, you will gain levels and extra lives if you manage to get a certain amount of points. Also, after the completion of each stage you will usually get new weapons and accessories:

Another thing that the game provides is a magic attack bubble. You will find these bubbles when you destroy crates and when you lose all your lives. The bubbles are like this:

This bubble contains a lightning strike which is triggered when you destroy the bubble. To destroy it you only have to hit it:

After you do that, the bubble will hit all the enemies that are around you:

Advantages: The differences between the characters, the variety of the enemies and bosses, the environment make the game a must.

Disadvantages: Very long game, too many points are required to get an extra life and some bosses are way to difficult to die, especially Gildiss.

Snapshots: Just some bosses. Let's start with the legendary Dragonian:

Now let's move to the ancient Hydra:

"3 on 3 is pretty fair, isn't it ??"

After that we have the forest Spiders:

"ARACHNOPHOBIA !!!"

Right here is the Minotaur:

Next it is the Dragon Rider:

Now we move to the Royal Knights:

After you take care of these enemies, the question is only one: Are you ready to test your luck against Gildiss??

Videos: My King Of Dragons gameplay video.

Jump to Index
Last edited by eliaskeme on November 30th, 2016, 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.