Configure the Joystick for Q*Bert

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Configure the Joystick for Q*Bert

Post by Thulsa » January 4th, 2010, 12:58 pm

As the topic states I would like to know if anyone here has configured there joysticks for Q*bert the way the Arcade cabinet was setup. For a refresher Q*bert had diagonal controls, not the standard Up down left right. I have tried in the past to get mame to work correctly but I can never seem to get it right. Was wondering if anyone knew the proper layout :???:

I use standard DOS mame or Mame32 both versions .135. I use a Dual Tank Stick as my controller.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Configure the Joystick for Q*Bert

Post by Hierophant » January 6th, 2010, 12:08 am

I haven't got Q*Bert but I'll grab it see if I can work something out.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 6th, 2010, 2:35 am

OK, I got it. Like you said, the arcade Q*Bert has a 4-way diagonal joystick. You have to setup a very specific configuration to get the controls to feel right in MAME. Each of the directions needs to receive a simultaneous double input from the joystick to read properly as diagonals, as I will outline. Go to the configuration menu in the usual way by pressing the 'tab' key in-game>Input (this Game), then hit the 'enter' key to configure each of the four directions as follows:

P1 Up - Press diagonally Up/Right on the joystick. Input reads as 'Joy 1 Hat Switch U Joy 1 Hat Switch R'.

P1 Down - Press diagonally Down/Left on the joystick. Input reads as 'Joy 1 Hat Switch D Joy 1 Hat Switch L'.

P1 Left - Press diagonally Up/Left on the joystick. Input reads as 'Joy 1 Hat Switch U Joy 1 Hat Switch L'.

P1 Right - Press diagonally Down/Right on the joystick. Input reads as 'Joy 1 Hat Switch D Joy 1 Hat Switch R'.

The order of the two Joy 1 Hat Switch input readings for each direction's U, D, L, or R, may appear reversed in your configuration compared to the above. For example, depending on how you press the joystick diagonally the input for P1 Up may read as R then U, instead of U then R. It really doesn't matter though so long as you get the correct overall diagonal direction joystick presses for each P1 direction.

Anyway, this configuration made the game a lot more intuitive for me to play. Before I got this setup happening I couldn't get past the first stage. I kept sending Q*Bert plummeting to his death! Now at least I can pass the first stage and get the high score.
:SM:

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » January 6th, 2010, 11:00 am

Thank You! Q*bert + plus bad controls = 1st stage death. He died so many times I was starting to feel bad for the little guy.

I will try this out when I get home from work today.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » January 7th, 2010, 3:01 pm

Thanks again. Those controls are spot on.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 7th, 2010, 5:55 pm

You're welcome. Have fun with it bro! :V:

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter

Post by Thulsa » January 8th, 2010, 12:15 pm

:party: score at 7500 and rising lol
~Thulsa Doom~