HELP MY MEMORY PLEASE [Solved]

Can't think of the name of that arcade game you used to play? This is the place to ask!
Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: HELP MY MEMORY PLEASE

Post by Incito » September 25th, 2009, 9:25 pm

:offtopic:
I thought I would Hierophant a :thumbsup: on the MAMEFAQs page. Holy crap! You covered a lot of common questions in there.

:b2t:

MAWS is the best place to search of rare titles. Another thing I like to do (since I haven't come close to playing the 5000+ games out there) I set my gameex frontend to play a random game. That is how I discover Osman, Samurai Aces, Juno First, and the list goes on.

ternitamas

Post by ternitamas » September 26th, 2009, 10:44 am

Thanks! Cool suggestion Hierophant! :clapping: I'll go with this MAWS thing which I'm totally new to :blush: , so I'll give it a try. I totally agree, in the process of searching you come across other games, that's how I "re-discovered" JOUST, a very silly game I used to play only because its graphics and sound (when you were stomped to death and "exploded") always made me laugh a lot!
:V:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » September 27th, 2009, 5:15 am

Chris wrote:I thought I would Hierophant a :thumbsup: on the MAMEFAQs page. Holy crap! You covered a lot of common questions in there.
Thanks mate. :smile:

One thing I did when I first began thinking about doing a FAQ was trawl through the YouTube comments on your 'How to Install MAME' vid.

Geez, there's some clangers in there, comments I mean, not questions. I accept anyone's MAME questions. How's this guy's attitude:
eregular21 (4 months ago)

If you can't RTFM and install MAME without a lame video then you need to change your hobby.
Troll much? :rolleyes:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » September 27th, 2009, 6:47 am

ternitamas wrote:Thanks! Cool suggestion Hierophant! :clapping: I'll go with this MAWS thing which I'm totally new to :blush: , so I'll give it a try.
:V:
Another thing you can try at MAWS to help the search, ternitamas, is from the 'results' dropdown list choose 'snapshots' or 'gallery'. You can refine the search further by choosing 'parents' as the 'resource type'. Still add a 'category' like 'Platform / Run Jump' or whatever. Run a search and you'll see what I mean. If you see something you want to take a closer look at, click on the image to go to the game's page. There you can click on all the other 'snapshots' entries to check out some more images from that game. There's even a 'zoom' function there.

The only impediment to that is there are some games in MAME that are still in preliminary emulation status and those games don't always have useful snaps.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 10th, 2009, 2:34 am

Found a couple more games where the main character uses a mallet - Mr Do's Castle and Vs. Ice Climber. Again, the mallet seems to be the only similarity to the description of the game we're looking for, but you never know what snippet of info might jog the ol' memory.

Btw, the description of the old guy with the cane reminded me of one of the characters from Savage Reign and Kizuna Encounter. Those are Neo Geo versus fighting games though.

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » October 10th, 2009, 9:11 pm

Hiero, you have officially impressed me. :bow: :clapping: :thumbsup:

You have a plethora of arcade info locked in that brain of yours.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 10th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Cheers man! Fruits of a misspent youth. :hello:

This game is proving to be very elusive though. It seems that the thread author is not watching this topic at the moment, but I'll post any findings that pop up just in case.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 23rd, 2009, 10:27 am

BREAKTHROUGH! :woot:

Ternitamas, hope you come back and check your thread someday because I finally found your game.

title - Psychic 5 (set 1)
set name - psychic5
manufacturer - Jaleco
year - 1987
genre - Platform
category - Platform / Fighter Scrolling

http://maws.mameworld.info/maws/img/sho ... ychic5.png

MAWS Trivia also had this to say about the game which I thought was interesting:

A little game (the third developed by Nihon Maicom Kaihatsu (NMK) for Jaleco, after "Argus" and "Valtric") which did not have huge success, it nevertheless became a 'cult game' for many players thanks to the brilliant gameplay, hard-to-find secret bonuses and anime-like plot. The inspiration for the design of the five ESPers comes from several Japanese cartoons of the '70s where the physical aspect of main characters was strongly stereotyped to suit their psychological profile/fighting ability.

Cheers man! :V:

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » October 28th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Hierophant wrote:
Chris wrote:I thought I would Hierophant a :thumbsup: on the MAMEFAQs page. Holy crap! You covered a lot of common questions in there.
Thanks mate. :smile:

One thing I did when I first began thinking about doing a FAQ was trawl through the YouTube comments on your 'How to Install MAME' vid.

Geez, there's some clangers in there, comments I mean, not questions. I accept anyone's MAME questions. How's this guy's attitude:
eregular21 (4 months ago)

If you can't RTFM and install MAME without a lame video then you need to change your hobby.

Troll much? :rolleyes:
Ya there are some disgrutled babies that tend to comment. I just gave up on trying to admin it. I figure I will let people look like a jackass rather that delete their comment.

BTW - good job on finding that game. You all should start a thread were someone make you guess the game or something?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » October 29th, 2009, 1:12 am

Man, I was sorely tempted to reply to that idiot. I was gonna say something like...

If you can't comment on what is obviously a very helpful resource for MAME newbies without some lame attempt at trolling, then you need to shut your damn face.

Then I thought, why bother? DFTT! Ha, just checked and that guy's ugly comment has 10 thumbs down so far.
:tongue:

-

Yeah, that game had me stumped for a while. I was clutching at all sorts of straws. There was a subtle clue in the game's name though, Psychic 5, and ternitamas originally listed his memory of the game's group of playable characters. They add up to five of course.
:wink: