Board index MAME Help Killer Instinct 2 CHD Help

Killer Instinct 2 CHD Help

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Post November 25th, 2009, 3:42 pm
Thulsa User avatar
Arbiter
Arbiter

Hello all I am looking for help with kinst2.chd for ver 1.4

I was recently updating Killer Instinct 1 & 2 to work with my current version of MAME .132. I got killer instinct 1 up and running but have been running into issues with Killer Instinct 2. The site I use recently updated there CHD to a ver 1.5d for Killer Instinct 2. (I am not even sure there is a kinst2 ver1.5) In my haste to update the files I copied over the CHD which it turns out never needed to be replaced. I was unaware that there kinst2.rom was version 1.4. It gives me a DIFF .CHD ERROR now. I am pretty sure I just need a kinst2.chd version 1.4.

Any help would be great. Just as a side note I do not use Torrents. Please PM me if you wish to provide a link.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thulsa
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Post November 25th, 2009, 5:06 pm
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Well, unfortunately the best rom resource on the planet for that version of MAME is no more (RIP RomKeeper).

So, as far as chds are concerned, you very well may need to do a torrent. I am guessing your ISP does not allow torrents which is why you mentioned that? If that is the case, then you may need to go to a free internet area like a library?

Post November 25th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Here is the basic Killer Instinct parent/clone rom and CHD info from MAWS, the best MAME database:

Killer Instinct

parent rom title - Killer Instinct (v1.5d)
rom & CHD file name - kinst
clones -
Killer Instinct (proto v4.7)
Killer Instinct (v1.3)
Killer Instinct (v1.4)

Killer Instinct 2

parent rom title - Killer Instinct 2 (v1.4)
rom & CHD name - kinst2
clones -
Killer Instinct 2 (v1.0)
Killer Instinct 2 (v1.1)
Killer Instinct 2 (v1.3)
Killer Instinct 2 (v1.3k, upgrade kit)
Killer Instinct 2 (v1.4k, upgrade kit)

So, you are correct in thinking there is no Killer Instinct 2 (v1.5d) CHD, as (v1.5d) obviously refers to the parent version of the first Killer Instinct game, not Killer Instinct 2. It's possible there is some error at the site you're referring to?

Confusion might also arise from one of the Killer Instinct clones and the Killer Instinct 2 parent both being called (v1.4), which is why I highlighted them. The parent rom/CHD names are distinct between both sets though - kinst and kinst2. It would be superfluous to list the rom file names for all the clones here; the parent versions are always the main concern with any MAME game. The clones for each set all share the same single CHD file as their parent version anyway.

In the absence of RomKeeper *sheds a tear*, an alternative to torrents would be to Google something like "killer instinct chd download rapidshare" and see what you can find that way.

Post November 26th, 2009, 8:57 am
Thulsa User avatar
Arbiter
Arbiter

Ok thank you.

I was pretty sure the CHD from the website I used was the wrong one. I will post in there forums and see if anyone will correct it. If not I will look into torrents. It is not that torrents are blocked by my ISP i just truly despise having to use them. Many times in the past I have downloaded them only to get stuff I didn't need or want. Or it was something else entirely from what the torrent link said it was.

What really kills me is I just recently discovered Romkeepers. My old reliable website site is up and running. However Romkeepers was so neat, clean, and well done. About a month later *poof* no more website. I was like "That figures."
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Post November 28th, 2009, 11:29 am
Thulsa User avatar
Arbiter
Arbiter

Turns out the file name was correct. I heard from someone on there broken rom forum and he suggested Wiping out the DIFF folder. When updating mame files and CHD's it can cause a DIFF error as the new file will not write over correctly. Deleted the old Kinst2 in the Diff folder and all is working fine now.

Thought I would throw up that tidbit in case anyone else runs into the same kind of problems with CHD's.

thanks for the help

thulsa
~Thulsa Doom~

Post November 29th, 2009, 1:09 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No worries, Thulsa, glad it's working for you now.

Yes, as a general rule in MAME when experiencing crash related issues, deleting the game's cfg, diff, ini, or nvram files can often fix the problem. These are output files that get created if necessary when a game is launched if they're not already present. Therefore, these files can usually be deleted safely. As I always say though, an exception to this rule would be games such as the parent version of Street Fighter III 3rd Strike with it's 96 MB nvram file. SFIII3S's nvram file gets created during the game's initial CD rewrite operation. As the SFIII3S CD rewrite is such a lengthy process it's nvram should only ever be deleted as a last resort.

Post November 3rd, 2010, 5:44 pm
beldub Member

Is there anyway so could please pm me the link for rom and chd file as well. I downloaded a 129MB chd file and added it to every version of ki2 rom but no luck. I am running MAME 0.32. All other games run including KI1 and all the MK games so this is very fustrating. Many thanks in advance!!! :help: :help:

Post November 3rd, 2010, 10:08 pm
Nostalgia User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

I forwarded you a PM I sent to another user, beldub. It has the version of mame I use, the rom, and the chd.

You might have to use the version of mame I sent you for it to be compatible. If you aren't willing to do that then you'll have to find your own compatible versions (sorry to be blunt).

This version of the rom/chd works fine for me in this version of mame (as do most/all games), so I have no need or inclination to chase down any more chds, etc. Especially considering that this version of mame can be used to play online as well. I think this same rom/chd even works in the version of mame that I record footage in as well so yeah.

Cheers.

Post November 4th, 2010, 5:36 pm
beldub Member

Thanks Nostalgia - KI 2 is running great now :ty: I posted you a PM

Post November 4th, 2010, 11:58 pm
Nostalgia User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

No problem mate, i'll have the Killer Instinct 1 package link for you in about 25 minutes so check your PMs.

If anyone wants me to send them the same package (Killer Instinct 1 rom/chd for mame119) then just let me know and i'll forward it on to you.

Next

Return to MAME Help