Board index Arcade Cabinets and More! My build...

My build...

Show us your cabinet, control panel, or clever mod. Tell us what you did and share how you did it. Bask in the glory!
Post July 22nd, 2012, 6:19 am
PantherUK User avatar

Hey all, I thought I'd share my build pictures...

I bought a flat pack kit, not having the space or tools to create my own, this was the best option for me...
The kit I bought was the same as this, only in black and without the monitor panel...

Once I assembled the bottom half I drilled a 28mm hole so I could install an arcade push button for powering on the PC. I spliced the button to the PC case power button and had previously set up Win XP to power down with a button press... You can see the button on the front of the machine in the next picture... I also picked up a 19" Monitor cheap off eBay as well as an X-Arcade dual controller... The speakers were an old set of Altec PC speakers with a nice meaty sub... I took these apart and extended the wires to house the speakers in the top and the sub in the base, and the initial build was complete...

I decided I wanted a rotating monitor for playing vertical games full screen, so I installed a rotating Vesa mount... While I was doing this I realised how much the X-Arcade dual stick moved around, so I checked the fund supply, smiled and ordered a Tankstick..!

On the underside of the top of the unit are some speaker cut outs...

Clearly in need of some covers... Yeah you guessed it... lol

Then it was time to start tidying up all the loose wires... Not having a hollow back and also not wanting to run wires around the outside of the cabinet, I got some funky looking sleeving and ran all the wires from the top of the cabinet through it...

I also bought an 80mm desk tidy grommet to mask the hole that the wires fed into...

Then I got a black monitor lead so it didn't stand out so much, and then sleeved it anyway for uniformity... lol

I was originally going to leave the wooden marquee in the top and go for a vinyl sticker, but I thought if you're going to spend all this money you may as well do it properly and so I took the bolts out of the top of the cabinet and took the wooden insert out, bolted it back up and fitted a light...

Then in the best arcade/70's/80's tradtion I made a reflective panel from cardboard, foil and duct tape... :tongue:

I also fitted a USB extension lead and cable tied the sound controls into the keyboard drawer... Thanks to the Tanksticks trackball I have done away with the mouse too...

The final thing I have done so far is print up a temporary marquee until I can get one professionally made...

In the light...

In the dark...

It's been a fun build and my only real recommendation to anyone doing the same is to do what I did and get the computer system all up and running before you get building... I'm not worried about frontends other than the MAMEUIFX one, I also have Kega Fusion, ZSNES and Nestopia for that old school experience...
Ooer... No pictures...

Post July 22nd, 2012, 6:56 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Lol, nice MacGyver style reflective panel for the marquee light. :hehe:

Looking at the pix gave me a simple idea for a kinda reverse bezel. That would just involve applying artwork to the backboard behind the monitor. With artwork running back behind the monitor it wouldn't matter what orientation the monitor was in, there would always appear to be something showing around it. I was thinking of something fairly minimalist, like randomly spaced, criss-crossing horizontal and vertical glowing lines. Anyway, it would be easy to test out different ideas by drawing or painting on black card and sticking it back there with blu-tack.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first rotating monitor build shown on MAME Addicts. I really appreciate you displaying it to us in such detail. It's also interesting to see what can be done without a workshop.

Thank you, PantherUK! :V:

Post July 22nd, 2012, 9:51 pm
Thulsa Arbiter
Arbiter

I like it. If you ever decide to get a bigger monitor you have the space. I think the cab pretty sweet looking. I dig the monitor.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Post July 23rd, 2012, 2:30 am
PantherUK User avatar

Cheers guys, when I get the plexi marquee made, I'll post up a video...
Ooer... No pictures...

Post August 20th, 2012, 11:17 pm
PantherUK User avatar

I've gone a bit retro crazy on this cabinet now... Along with MAME I've added SNES, NES, Megadrive(Genesis), Master System, Visual Pinball, Amiga along with the SK Jukebox and BridgeM1... Retro heaven... Hmmmm maybe some Commodore 64 action next... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
Gotta love emulation..!
Ooer... No pictures...

Post April 1st, 2013, 9:18 am
PantherUK User avatar

Hey all, after a bit of messing about and deciding a frontend wasn't for me I used Windows 7 to make a kind of user friendly "frontend" with the desk top...
Because I use the Tankstick as a mouse it all works perfectly...

So the top row is...

Mame, Sega Model 2, Sega Model 3, Visual Pinball, Megadrive/Genesis, TurboGrafx 16, SNES, NES, Amiga, Commodore 64...

And on the bottom...

BridgeM1, Sidplayer, SKJukebox (With 130 albums currently)

I've still yet to get a Marquee professionally printed, but the paper one I made previously looks good sat between two sheets of clear perspex...

The next mission in a few months is to fabricate a glass door and bezel to cover the screen, which opens to allow the rotation of the monitor... But even without that, I am well happy with it...

Ooer... No pictures...

Post April 1st, 2013, 1:17 pm
ChameleonAlpha User avatar
Guru Extreme
Guru Extreme

It looks amazing. Bravo! :clapping:

Post April 1st, 2013, 4:39 pm
Nostalgia User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Shut up and take my money!

Post April 2nd, 2013, 9:59 am
Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

Can you provide the link of where you bought that kit?
Is it offed on USA?

Post April 2nd, 2013, 11:03 am
PantherUK User avatar

Sure... A couple of places sell it although you would have to check on international shipping, which at a weight of 75kg is not gonna be cheap...

http://www.gremlinsolutions.co.uk/products/x-treme-gamer.htm

I got mine from the next link via an eBay buy it now...

http://www.elite-arcades.com/arcade_machines/ex002.php

Hope this helps...
Ooer... No pictures...

Next

Return to Arcade Cabinets and More!

Google+