Board index MAME Help Midnight Resistance trouble

Midnight Resistance trouble

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Post December 7th, 2009, 4:31 pm
XEPER8x8 Gamer
Gamer

I have all 4 versions of midnight resistance and they all epically fail. whats the deal yo? Is the rom a complete fail? it shouldn't be because I seen the game play on youtube. Or am I loading the game wrong? idk what the problem is, lol?

Post December 7th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've had this game before and it should be able to work if you're doing everything correctly. See my MAMEFAQs Q1. and Q2 for some things you can check. The MAMEFAQs link is in my sig. Also have a look at the How to Use this Forum guide in MAME Help Announcements for a list of info you can provide that might help us. That's the other link in my sig.

Funnily enough I was just thinking about this game before I saw your post. Getting the tricky control method of the original game to work in an acceptable way in MAME when I was still a newbie put me off. I eventually gave up and deleted the game in frustration. When I first saw the heading of your post I thought that this was what the trouble was gonna be about. Here's the original control panel:

http://www.klov.com/images/10/1097076010.jpg

The tricky part is that the yellow controller is a combination 8 way joystick for movement and spinner for aiming, which is what allows the separation of movement and aiming (eg. walking forwards and shooting backwards simultaneously). Lately I've been thinking that since I'm more experienced now I should have another crack at working out an acceptable control method.

Seeing as you're probably gonna have the same problems as I did with the controls once you get the game working anyway, I'll post my findings here.

Post December 7th, 2009, 9:30 pm
XEPER8x8 Gamer
Gamer

thank u bro :D

Post December 7th, 2009, 9:43 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Anytime dude. :hello:

Let us know when you get the game running and HOW you did it. I'm continually adjusting my MAMEFAQs based on the solutions to problems like this. So far Q1. and Q2. cover just about every conceivable basic setup problem in MAME.

Post December 8th, 2009, 12:18 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

OK Xeper, I checked the midres rom. First I d/l it from romnation and found it's not compatible with the MAME 119 I linked in your other thread. It's no problem though, I tried the Midnight Resistance (World) 672.57 KB version at rom-world and it works in MAME 119.

By using both romnation and rom-world I haven't found a game yet that won't work one way or another in MAME32 ++ 0.119.

Post January 15th, 2010, 10:23 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Midnight Resistance Controller Configuration

Well, here's what I reckon about controller setup for Midnight Resistance.

Press the tab key in-game and go Input (this game). Configure the U, D, L, R, directions to the joypad's D-pad for the character's movement. P1 Button 1 = shoot and P1 Button 2 = jump, so set those to two of the face buttons, whatever's comfortable. I prefer having shoot above jump on the joypad.

Now here's the trick to making the game playable with a joypad. Either ignore the Dial Analog setting, or get rid of it altogether by pressing delete to turn it to None. If Dial Analog is set to one of the controller's analog sticks, all it does is spin the aim around wildly (unless you dial down the sensitivity in the Analog Controls option but even then you'd have to put shoot and jump on the shoulder buttons - not fun). Instead, set Dial Dec to a left shoulder button and Dial Inc to a right shoulder button. This gives you precise control over aiming, which is what's needed in this game.

This setup takes advantage of joypad shoulder buttons to allow full control over all of your character's actions at once. Even so, Midnight Resistance is still a fairly difficult game to control this way and it will take some practice to master.

Return to MAME Help