Recommended Games Discussion

This forum is designed for gamers to come together and socialize.
Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Re: Recommended Games Discussion

Post by Thulsa » January 30th, 2010, 8:40 pm

Just put up my Review of Q*bert. Hope it is to everyone's liking. Also Time Soldiers??? Man that game is pure evil. Don't get me wrong it's a great game but I swear the hit boxes are huge. You think there is no way that little thing will hit me... Then Wham You're dead.. Again.

That game hates me. lol
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » January 31st, 2010, 1:47 am

Wow, thanks Thulsa! That caught me by surprise. Go Q*bert!

I liked they way you kicked things off with that dictionary joke. Very cool. Good idea pointing out the diagonal control stuff too. You also own the first game to be indexed under "Q". I wonder if there will be any more... Q*bert's Qubes maybe... Qix?

:woot:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » January 31st, 2010, 2:15 am

Seraph wrote:Funny you mentioned Shock Troopers cause last night I was telling eliaskeme about how I wanted to do Time Soldiers but I initially said Shock Troopers by mistake. Both are "gems" in my book. It's a shame that the company that made it is pretty much a ghost. I don't find anything about them really. They definitely had the potential but they left the scene I guess as a one hit wonder. If anyone knows if they formed a different game company or what happened to them I would like to know.
The company, ADK (aka Alpha Denshi), made some cool games for the Neo Geo. Definitely not a one hit wonder. From what I can gather they went under in 2000, but their game rights are still owned and used occasionally by SNK Playmore.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » January 31st, 2010, 3:57 am

I goofed on that so who knows anything about Saurus the company that did Time Soldiers. BTW almost done with that one so dibs on Battletoads!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » February 4th, 2010, 8:26 pm

I know I was supposed to have my Black Tiger up by now, but I have been waiting for my bro to set me up with fraps. At the moment I'm setting up this top 40 list, so some of you could explore the games I really enjoy. That list should be done by Monday or Tuesday along with my Black Tiger if my brother stops being lazy.

After that I'm doing Time Soldiers and then my final review for my 5 part review. I'm lowering it to a 5 part review for now because I may be busy really soon. I'll do reviews as I get the time once both of those things are done, so if someone feels like doing Puzzle Bobble or Radiant Silvergun (Bullet-Hell Flying Shooter that came before the more known Ikaruga) then please do. If not I'll get to those games on my short list as time allows me.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 5th, 2010, 4:53 am

Re: Radiant Silvergun

From Rec Games rules and guidelines:
Hierophant wrote:- DON'T recommend games that are not fully playable in MAME for the majority of people. Fully playable means a game is generally capable of 100% FPS during gameplay with no use of frame skipping on an average PC. This means that practically any game with 3D polygon graphics rendered in real-time is not acceptable for recommendation as, performance wise, MAME is generally not very friendly with 3D game emulation. So while Carnevil, Gauntlet Legends, etc. might be very good games, they are not suitable for recommendation here.
Sorry mate, but since it would be too complicated to say this 3D polygon game is OK to recommend but that 3D polygon game isn't, I simply decided to blanket ban all 3D polygon games from recommendation in my thread. I had to draw the line somewhere since I didn't want newbies getting all excited at the prospect of playing Carnevil or whatever in MAME and then getting a huge disappointment.

The only game I can think of right now that doesn't quite fit this rule is Viewpoint for the Neo Geo. Although it does have a polygonal look, Viewpoint's amazing sprites are actually pre-rendered and therefore incur no special performance hit in MAME.

Thulsa
Arbiter
Arbiter
Favorite Game: QBert Ms Pacman

Post by Thulsa » February 5th, 2010, 6:52 pm

Quick question on topic?

What about G-Darius. While being mostly 2-D it has some serious 3-D polygons going on. It seems to work fine in .135 I don't know about lower versions though. I was toying with this as one of my next possible reviews. I knew since there was a 3d Polygon rule I wasn't thinking about it too hard. But since it's been brought up....

Also can we Sticky the actual Recommended Games thread along with the index thread so it stops dropping down the list? MAME help is perhaps one of the busiest boards on here. I would hate for it to slip down for awhile as it awaits a new entry.
My child, you have come to me my son. For who now is your father if it is not me? I am the well spring, from which you flow. When I am gone, you will have never been. What would your world be, without me? My son.
~Thulsa Doom~

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 5th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Well, take my PC as an example of what I mean by "average" (P4, 2.93GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB HD) in relation to performance with real-time 3D polygon games in MAME. Now, I can run any normal 2D game just fine at 100%. Even fancy looking 2D games like The Crystal of Kings still run at 100%. Like you say though, Thulsa, G-Darius is a mix of 2D graphics and real-time 3D polygons. This is normally where I start to see a performance hit. With G-Darius I generally average around 85% of full performance during gameplay, occasionally dropping down to as low as around 70% depending on how intense the action is.

So while G-Darius is still playable for me, as far as performance goes it doesn't play true to the original game. That's the kind of newbie disappointment I want to avoid. Even though the G-Darius example could be viewed as a somewhat minor inconvenience for some, scale it up to games like Carnevil and it becomes a major problem for most.

That's not say that these kind of high requirement games can't be written up elsewhere. Feel free. The operative word in my thread is "recommended", so I can't wholeheartedly have such games included for recommendation and possibly causing player dissatisfaction due to the poor performance of real-time 3D in MAME.

(Btw, Rec Games and it's Index were already sticky. There are 8 sticky threads in MAME Help atm so there will be some shuffling between those depending on which had the last hit. Thanks for your concern.)

eliaskeme
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Snow Bros.

Post by eliaskeme » February 6th, 2010, 6:30 am

My Shinobi review is ready. Go check it out. As I mention there, my cousin was playing while I was recording.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » February 6th, 2010, 9:18 am

Cool dude, ninjas are awesome! It's always good to hear that Stage 1 BGM again.

Thanks elias :V: