Old Thread - How to install MAME

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Old Thread - How to install MAME

Post by Incito » February 5th, 2010, 11:43 am

In this instruction, I am using MAMEUIFX 0.132 found in the downloads section.

All the same concepts will apply to any MAME32 version.

This instruction is considered "easy" and should only take 5 minutes. Have your controller already plugged in.

1- Download mame. The software is "Stand-alone", and therefore does not need to be installed into the filesystem.

2- Make a folder called MAME (or whatever name you want) and place it on C:\ drive. You actually can place it anywhere you want, but for this instruction I will have use C:\MAME.

3- Put you download in the folder you created. (C:\MAME\your-download.zip)

4- Extract content into your folder so that you can see all the folders (a.k.a directories) within C:\MAME. You should see folders like "roms", and "snaps".
View example of this here.

5 - Get your roms and place them in the "roms" folder. LEAVE THEM ZIPPED.

6- Start mame.

7 - You will see a list of games now, BUT these are the "All Games" games. NOT the game you have. Some versions of mameui will have these marked with red.

8- On the top-left, click on the "Available" games. This will bring another list. If you have games listed you are done. If no games are listed, go to step 9. If games are listed, go to step 10.

9- Go to "Options > directories". Choose "Roms" and point it you the roms location.
In my example, it would be C:\MAME\roms. Once you do that, mame will search for compatible roms.
Note: You may have to use the "refresh" found in the menu bar under "View".
View example here.

10 - By default, your controller should already be enabled. However, we are going to be sure that it is.
Enable your controller buy going to "Options>Default Game Options>Controllers". Check the "Enable Joystick Input".
View example here.

DONE.

You can watch the full How to Install MAME video below as well.

Be sure to check out the MAME FAQs! :yes:

ROOKIE

Re: How to Install MAME

Post by ROOKIE » April 6th, 2010, 6:18 pm

Problem solved. What I did was only restarted my laptop, and it works (I can see the menu bar). I closed first time by clicking X button (close button) at the top-right corner of the window. At least I can play the old-rare arcade of SF2CEKouryu, hahahaa.

I think this was happening because I installed few MAMEs continuously. It might create crash or something. I installed and run the binary file of MAME137b, MAME32 103b, MAME32 112.4b, and MAME32Plus 133u4.

Now, this will lead me to my next questions.

What is the difference between MAME, MAME 32, MAME PLUS, and PSXMAME? What is the benefit of each type? Is there any other type of MAME than I mentioned?
I downloaded a MAME that doesnt have any Graphic interface. Do u have tutorial about MAME like that?

Im sorry I have many questions and I dont know where to ask. Sorry for my bad english too.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » April 6th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Glad you fixed it. :smile:

Yeah, I have heard somewhere once before that installing too many different versions of MAME may cause problems. Try and only stay with the ones you really need.

To try and answer your question as simply as possible:

1. Official MAME is the source code version that uses command lines to run it. Unless you're a fairly advanced user with knowledge of how to use command lines then it's generally recommended to use a GUI version instead.

2. All other builds are derivatives of official MAME, and there are many. This quote from the MAME Dev site explains:
MAME Dev wrote:What is a frontend? Do I need one? If so, which one should I use, and where can I get it?

A frontend is a GUI (Graphical User Interface) for the command-line versions of MAME. A frontend is generally responsible for discovering what games are installed on your system and presenting you with a nice user interface for choosing which one to run using MAME. Frontends often have many spiffy features like cool animations, pictures of cabinets and artwork, details about the games, and other useful tidbits.

Most frontends are separate from MAME itself. One common exception is MAMEUI, which is a version of the standard Windows MAME build with the frontend built directly into the application.
OK, my favourite GUI is MAMEPlus!. It has many great features, but can be a bit tricky at first for a newcomer.

Another one I still like is MAMEUIFX. It doesn't have quite as many features as MAMEPlus!, but it's simpler to use and I recommend it to newcomers.

For anyone that wants to play MAME online then MAME32 Plus! Plus! is absolutely essential.

There are way to many other different MAME builds for me to sensibly list here, and besides, it's already been done for me at other places. For example:

http://www.zophar.net/mame.html
http://emulationrealm.net/modules/wfdow ... hp?cid=390

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » April 13th, 2010, 11:17 am

ROOKIE wrote:What is the difference between MAME, MAME 32, MAME PLUS, and PSXMAME? What is the benefit of each type? Is there any other type of MAME than I mentioned?
-------------------
Im sorry I have many questions and I dont know where to ask. Sorry for my bad english too.
Just in case this was not answered, PSXMAME is a hack to used on the Playstation 1 (actually the smaller PSX system, hence the name) to play mame games. However, due to hardware constraints, you would have to wait like 30 minutes before games like Pac-Man could even load, and even then there would be terrible lag.

I have in the in the Download page just as a archive and nothing more.

Also, don't ashamed to ask questions so as long you made the effort to check that it has not already been asked AND answered before. Also become familiar with the MAME FAQs section.
Thanks for joining and welcome aboard :smile:.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » August 29th, 2010, 2:18 am

Fantastic work on passing 200,000 views with this vid on YouTube recently, Chris! That's a great testament to how awesome your vid truly is. Wow, imagine all the people you helped in getting MAME set up. That's a lotta happy campers, dude.

:SM: :woot: :clapping:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » August 29th, 2010, 2:29 am

Yeah, It's amazing the extreme happiness you would have given so many people.

Congrats, Sir Chris!

Incito
Founder
Founder

Post by Incito » September 12th, 2010, 8:44 pm

Hierophant wrote:Fantastic work on passing 200,000 views with this vid on YouTube recently, Chris! That's a great testament to how awesome your vid truly is. Wow, imagine all the people you helped in getting MAME set up. That's a lotta happy campers, dude.

:SM: :woot: :clapping:
:ty: Thank you all! :bow:

Not as many views as the double rainbow guy, but at least I can say my video actually helps people. :wink:

Yeah, it was all the youtube PMs I got that gave me the idea to set this up...and it still make me laugh when I look at it and ppl still PM me ot ask for helps in the comments.

ayrton2727

Post by ayrton2727 » November 2nd, 2010, 11:04 pm

Thanks very much for the videos.

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP » November 4th, 2010, 7:13 pm

Hi all,

I'm a newbie. I'm trying to install Mame using the video but after I downloaded the file, the next step is to extract it and that's not one of the options when I right click the file. Any idea what I would do at this point?

Thanks for the help.

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 4th, 2010, 7:15 pm

G'day :hello:

Install 7-Zip and then you can extract it.

http://www.7-zip.org/