Street Fighter III 3rd Strike - CHD info

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Street Fighter III 3rd Strike - CHD info

Post by Hierophant » February 13th, 2009, 7:06 am

EDIT:
At the request of a fellow MameAddict I'm putting the correction from further along in this thread right here at the start to try and help avoid any confusion. The main point of this exercise is to KEEP THE CHD FILE FOR SFIII3S UNZIPPED to aid in the efficient running of the game. The following relates to the parent version, Street Fighter III 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future (USA, 990608), rom name - sfiii3, CHD name - cap-33s-2 in MAME 0.129.
Hierophant wrote:So here are the simple steps I took to set up SFIII 3rd Strike properly in MAME 0.129:

1. Place the zipped sfiii3 parent rom in the MAME roms folder as you normally would for any rom file.
2. Now make a new folder and name it sfiii3. Put the cap-33s-2.chd file as is into the newly created folder. Leave the new folder unzipped. Now put this new folder in the MAME roms folder.
3. Refresh your games list and launch the game.
This way the CHD file is now a sub directory of the sfiii3 rom folder which allows MAME to run the data from the CHD in the way it was originally intended.

For detailed info about playing SFIII3S online go here.

For those wanting to see how the learning process for offline SFIII3S unfolded, please read on...
END EDIT.

Got SFIII3S recently, which is the first game I've downloaded that needs a CHD file. The site I normally use lists the CHD and rom files separately. This gave me a small problem at first where the game wouldn't run after placing both files in MAME roms folder. The CHD file looks the same as the other kind of files you see inside a zipped rom (a white page icon). So I thought, OK I'll try the method of unzip the rom, put the CHD inside, and zip the rom back up. Great, the game now works!

Anyway, hopefully this info might help some other MA members if they run into a similar situation.

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Re: Street Fighter III 3rd Strike - CHD info

Post by Incito » February 13th, 2009, 10:23 am

This is a good example of just posting a discovery made so other can fide it. Also, search engines will pick it up too. :thumbsup:

sailindawest07OG09

Post by sailindawest07OG09 » March 13th, 2009, 2:43 pm

Thanks mate :hello: because of this i can now play Streetfighter III 2nd Attack and third strike my only question is this do u get the same problem after when u exit from playin streetfightertIII the screen freezes temporarily for 1-2 minutes.... i mean it really doesnt do that with neogeo games and others as well.... is it because it is a imperfect rom like it is described when u load the game???? Other than that great thanks dude... ur intelligence is outback!!! LOL!!! :V: Thanks dude for helpin me play this game another great flashback!!!!

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » March 13th, 2009, 11:16 pm

SFIII3S is the only CHD based game I've got so far, and yeah, it does take a loooong time to exit the game. I'm no expert on this but I'm guessing it has something to do with the way it has to dump the memory load. Does anyone know if this is the same for other CHD type games?

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » March 17th, 2009, 5:55 am

Hmmm....OK people, the question about the long exit time got me thinking about this some more. I started hunting around for some info and here's what I found.

The FAQ at the official site of the MAME Dev Team has this to say:
Do I need to put my CHD files into a ZIP?

No. In fact, it is a very bad idea. CHD files are already compressed in such a way that they can access the data quickly without the need for decompressing the whole CHD all at once. If you put a CHD file in a ZIP, MAME will try to extract the giant CHD file from the ZIP into your system's memory, and then will decompress bits and pieces of the extracted CHD out of memory. This is highly inefficient, and really defeats the purpose of the CHD files.

-

Where do I place the .CHD (compressed hard disk image) files?

Put them into a subdirectory of your "roms" directory with the name of the game the CHD is for. In addition the CHD, you also need the corresponding ROMs for the game to work. To demonstrate:

mame.exe
roms\
area51.zip
area51\
area51.chd

Note that the CHD name does not always directly correspond to the game now. For example, the CHD for Beatmania is named 753jaa11.chd. It would go in a directory called "bm1stmix"
My apologies for my initial "very bad idea".

So here are the simple steps I took to set up SFIII 3rd Strike properly in MAME 0.129:

1. Place the zipped sfiii3 parent rom in the MAME roms folder as you normally would for any rom file.
2. Now make a new folder and name it sfiii3. Put the cap-33s-2.chd file as is into the newly created folder. Leave the new folder unzipped. Now put this new folder in the MAME roms folder.
3. Refresh your games list and launch the game.

If you're gonna play this game a lot it's worth doing this in the long run because the exit time is cut down dramatically with this method (mine now takes about 10 seconds to exit the first time in a session, and just a few seconds for any exit after that). What am I saying? Of course you're gonna play SFIII 3rd Strike a lot, it's one of the most sought after games on MAME!!!
:V:

sailindawest07OG09

Post by sailindawest07OG09 » March 17th, 2009, 4:53 pm

Hierophant u are straight genius!!!!! :thumbsup: Excellent post dude!!!! Thanx for taking your time to answer not just my question but the rest of the mame community as well...Great going!!! Dont Mess wit Australia!! huh.. Congratulations mate from Texas.... btw only one phrase sums it up what i have to say...." That was Brilliant!.." Sailin07

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » March 18th, 2009, 4:43 am

If it wasn't for your question I probably never would have realized that I was barking up the wrong tree in the first place mate. It's all about teamwork.
:V:

Nostalgia
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Nostalgia » March 20th, 2009, 6:50 am

Works great thanks Hiero :)

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » March 23rd, 2009, 7:25 am

No worries, Nostalgia. :hello:

I suppose this kind of info would just be taken for granted by hardcore MAME veterans as common knowledge. Anyway, it's good to see this is helping some of you guys out.
:smile:

sailindawest07OG09

Post by sailindawest07OG09 » April 16th, 2009, 12:33 am

:hello: Thanks once again hiero...i look back when i had this problem...thanks 2 u mate once again..now im playing sf3 often... :thumbsup: take it easy mate..