Old Thread - How to install MAME

MAME Gurus come to your aide to help you. Please use the search before adding a topic. This will help cut down on having multiple topics with the same subject.
MIKEP

Re: How to Install MAME

Post by MIKEP » November 4th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Hierophant wrote:G'day :hello:

Install 7-Zip and then you can extract it.

http://www.7-zip.org/

i installed it, what do i do now? :smile:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Post by Hierophant » November 4th, 2010, 7:40 pm

With 7-Zip installed you'll find a 7-Zip option when you right click the compressed MAME file. From the list choose Extract to "MAME (whatever version)" and it will unpack into a new folder.

For further info please watch Chris's vid again or see the FAQ (linked in my sig).

MIKEP

Post by MIKEP » November 4th, 2010, 9:27 pm

Hierophant wrote:With 7-Zip installed you'll find a 7-Zip option when you right click the compressed MAME file. From the list choose Extract to "MAME (whatever version)" and it will unpack into a new folder.

For further info please watch Chris's vid again or see the FAQ (linked in my sig).
ok i got Mame working, now i just need to get some ROMs. :huh:

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 4th, 2010, 9:33 pm

MIKEP wrote:
Hierophant wrote:With 7-Zip installed you'll find a 7-Zip option when you right click the compressed MAME file. From the list choose Extract to "MAME (whatever version)" and it will unpack into a new folder.

ok i got Mame working, now i just need to get some ROMs. :huh:
Google for roms + mame xxx

replace the xxx with your version of mame. You will find many sites then. Or torrent search for that.

mikkaeel

Post by mikkaeel » November 6th, 2010, 4:09 am

hey guys/girls

i need some help... :help:

i followed the video tutorial but when i point the "roms" to my mame folder and after it searches,the games dont turn green,it stays grey,when i start the game it looks fine but then an error comes up saying "file not found"

please help!

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » November 6th, 2010, 8:28 am

mikkaeel wrote:hey guys/girls

i followed the video tutorial but when i point the "roms" to my mame folder and after it searches,the games dont turn green,it stays grey,when i start the game it looks fine but then an error comes up saying "file not found"

please help!
You want to point to the ..../mame/roms not the .../mame folder. then after that hit F5, or refresh (F5 is refresh).

mikkaeel

Post by mikkaeel » November 6th, 2010, 2:52 pm

Chris wrote:
mikkaeel wrote:hey guys/girls

please help!
You want to point to the ..../mame/roms not the .../mame folder. then after that hit F5, or refresh (F5 is refresh).

thanks for the reply bro...

i have it pointed to the /mame/roms folder but the games are greyed out,some of them are red too

:help:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » November 6th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Make sure you're in the Available list and not in All Games (folders at the left field of the GUI). Available equals the games you have in the roms folder. All Games equals a complete list of games supported by that version of MAME, whether you have them or not.

sp4wn15

Getting ROMs

Post by sp4wn15 » December 30th, 2010, 6:27 pm

I just downlowded MAME0.132, and I have no ROMs. How do I get them? I get stuck at the step where I point it to ROMS but all me games are grey.

:sparta: :wtf: :help:

Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Hierophant » December 30th, 2010, 8:05 pm

Try the setup suggested in the MAME FAQs; it's a much easier launch pad for newbies. :wink: